In addition to the process of education, scientific research is an integral part of activities at the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) of Mendel University in Brno (MENDELU). High-quality research results are essential to break through not only in the Czech but also in the foreign competitive environment. High-quality outputs are also crucial in terms of research financing.
A precondition for the professional development of staff members is involvement in scientific research at the national and international level with convincing results in the form of peer-reviewed (impacted) publications and monographs. This is further reflected in the quality of the education process itself as well. In accordance with current trends in the area of supporting scientific research and as a follow-up to the dynamic development of the faculty in the area of teaching and education, the Faculty of Business and Economics set up a Research Centre in 2007.
The mission of the Research Centre is to create suitable conditions for theoretical and applied research across all the departments of FBE MENDELU in Brno. The aim is to support the process of scientific research and the publishing activities of all academicians and researchers of the faculty. A constituent objective of Research Centre’s activities is to reinforce the interdisciplinary nature of research at FBE MENDELU.
The activities of the Research Centre include:
The Research Centre focuses on searching, analysing and disseminating information on project schemes relevant to the subject fields of FBE MENDELU and its departments. In the framework of the information service, the Research Centre organises practically oriented seminars for selected project schemes.
The Research Centre focuses on promoting scientific research and publishing activities. The Research Centre also handles the management of Working Papers, an information service in the area of suitable publishing opportunities and ensures the availability of the software and databases needed for research.
The process of project proposal preparation and subsequent project implementation is connected with a number of very often time consuming professional and administrative tasks. In order for the researchers to be able to focus on the professional aspects of the project as much as possible, the Research Centre offers services in the area of project support. The project support includes the preparation of project proposals based on an agreement with the proposer of the project. In the case of project implementation it includes coordination of selected activities and administration of the project, including project monitoring, after agreement and in close cooperation with the researcher in charge.
Promotion of international cooperation
Promoting international cooperation and establishing and maintaining contacts with partner institutions is an integral part of successful research and presentation of research results abroad. The Research Centre takes part in building and maintaining contacts, including the creation of its own network of contacts. The Research Centre offers collaboration with the project proposers when searching for suitable partners for international consortia.
Organisation of scientific events
A component of the activities performed by the Centre is also the organisation of professional events (conferences, workshops, etc.). The Research Centre organises its own Conference of the Research Centre and a faculty-wide conference called Company and the Competitive Environment, as well as the doctoral conference PEFnet. The Centre also provides collaboration when organising further conferences and other professional events of FBE MENDELU upon agreement. In order to promote interdisciplinarity in research and increase awareness of the research focus of individuals and teams which reach beyond the boundaries of individual departments, the Research Centre participates in the organisation of research seminars.
The Research Centre participates on project proposal development as well as the administration and management of funded projects. The projects obtained lead to both scientific research and educational activities and contribute to the development of international cooperation at FBE MENDELU.
The Research Centre is currently taking part in the following projects:
- OP VVV – Support of Multidisciplinary Research Study Programmes for Young Scientists
- OP VVV – Competitive Graduate of Mendel University in Brno
- IRP – Internationalisation and Promotion of Doctoral Study Programmes at the Faculty
- of Business and Economics
The Research Centre currently takes part in the following projects:
- Erasmus+ Strategic Partnerships - European Network for Academic Integrity
- H2020 - Revisioning the ‘Fiscal EU’: Fair, Sustainable and Coordinated Tax and Social Policies – FairTax
- Czech Science Foundation – Sentiment and its Impact on Stock Markets
- Czech Science Foundation – After the Curtain: Empirical Studies of Migration in Transition Economies
- Czech Science Foundation – Impact of Changes in Tax Legislation on Efficiency and Equity in the Czech Republic
- Czech Science Foundation – Real Functioning of the Centrally Planned Economy in Czechoslovakia
- Czech Science Foundation – Comparative Study of Crowdfunding Projects in EU: Access to Finance, Risks and Regulation
- 7FP – Welfare, Wealth and Work for Europe
- Education in Strategic Management for SMEs Managers/Owners
- Developing a Common Methodology for Reference Budgets
- Postdoc Contracts at MENDELU Technical and Economic Research
- OP EC – Human Resources in Research and Development
- CENTROPE – Regional Developement Report